The 2nd Biannual Summer School on Control of Surgical Robots (COSUR 2018) is a doctoral summer school to be held at University of Verona from July 9th to 13th. COSUR 2018 is jointly organized by the Altair Robotics Lab at University of Verona, and the European projects MURAB (MRI and Ultrasound Robotic Assisted Biopsy), SARAS (Smart Autonomous Robotic Assistant Surgeon), and ARS (Autonomous Robotic Surgery).
COSUR 2018 focuses on the integration of control, sensing, and machine intelligence in robotic surgery. Together with the basics on teleoperation algorithms and image based control, the school will address some aspects of machine learning to introduce students to the main concepts of surgical autonomy. By introducing autonomy in surgery, we aim at showing students how to leverage the increased accuracy of robots and medical imaging, to develop new diagnostic and therapeutic tools that can support advanced procedures.
The main technical themes faced during the school include:
– Autonomous control in robotic surgery
– Teleoperation and Haptics
– Image-Guided Surgery
– Human-Robot Interaction
– Knowledge representation
– Machine learning and reasoning
The school will also include medical lectures, to present students with specific case study of robotic surgery and to define the medical context in which robotic surgery is being used. There will also be the presentation of a few EU-funded projects related to robotic surgery. These three themes will be addressed with tutorial presentations given by leading experts in the field and by the coordinators of recently funded EU-projects. The lectures will be complemented by laboratory sessions that will let students apply the concepts introduced during the lectures to relevant experimental set-up’s.
Students will be grouped in teams that will develop a project related to the school topics during the last days of the school. The projects will be evaluated by the school lecturers and each student will receive a certificate of attendance, to obtain credits in their university.
The list of international speakers includes:
· Prof. Paolo Fiorini, Università degli Studi di Verona
· Dr. Riccardo Muradore, Università degli Studi di Verona
· Prof. Arianna Menciassi, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna
· Dr. Leonardo Mattos, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia
· Dr. Elena De Momi, Politecnico di Milano
· Prof. Salvatore Siracusano, University Hospital in Verona
· Prof. Marco Zenati, Harvard Medical School
· Prof. Philippe Poignet, Université de Montpellier
· Prof. Pierre Jannin, Université de Rennes
· Prof. Fabio Cuzzolin, Oxford Brookes University
· Prof. Alberto Arezzo, Università degli Studi di Torino
Please check the website for updates on the detailed technical program and list of speakers.
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION
Application details can be found on the COSUR 2018 website:
Dr. Marta Capiluppi (Università degli Studi di Verona)
Dr. Riccardo Muradore (Università degli Studi di Verona)
Prof. Paolo Fiorini (Università degli Studi di Verona)